Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Baked Oatmeal

I discovered this recipe from Real Simple magazine. I give them all the credit. I have made it once a week since I found it; it's that good! Every saturday morning consists of homemade pancakes. Now Sunday morning's breakfast is baked oatmeal. I love this recipe because it's hearty, wholesome and healthy - not much sugar! I hope it becomes a regular in your rotation too.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup pecans, or walnuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 (1/2 a stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cool
1 3/4 cup 2 percent or whole milk
2 large eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup - the real stuff only
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 glass pan. In a large mixing bowl add oats, pecans, cranberries, cinnamon and salt. Stir well. Add to the dry mixture the butter; stir well. Continue to add wet ingredients - milk, eggs, syrup and vanilla. Mix well with a rubber spatula. Spoon into greased pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until edges are golden brown and the center is firm. Serve warm. Store leftovers for one day in fridge. Serves 4-6 people.

NOTE: For just my husband and I, I cut the recipe in half. I bake it in a round corningware dish for 28-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment